Some Austin women have always desired larger or different breasts. Whether they feel that their natural breasts are too small for their body, simply want to go bigger, or want to correct noticeably asymmetrical breasts, there are several reasons that women visit Austin’s Meridian Plastic Surgery Center for a breast augmentation consultation. Dr. Tjelmeland takes a lot of time with his potential patients explaining the procedure to them, answer any questions they have, and coming up with a personalized treatment plan for them.
When it comes to getting a breast augmentation, you have many choices to make. You’ll need to choose your implant type – silicone or saline, and if you want your implants placed above or below the muscle, where you want your incision to be made, how large you want to go, and what size breast implant profile you want. Dr. Tjelmeland understands there are many details that you need to make and he guides you through all of your decisions.
WHAT ARE SILICONE IMPLANTS?
Silicone implants are the most popular breast implant choice for the Austin women that Dr. Tjelmeland treats at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center. The breast implants, which are pre-filled with a silicone substance, can be placed either above or below the breast muscle using the following incision types:
- An inframammary incision, in which an incision is made in the breast crease where the breast tissue meets the ribcage; or
- A periareolar incision, in which a breast augmentation incision is made along the edge of the areola.
Both of these incision types easily hide scarring. The inframammary incision hides the scarring directly underneath the breast, where it is hidden by a bra or bikini line. And the periareolar incision hides the scaring between the natural coloration of the areola and the rest of the skin on the breasts so that it is hardly noticeable.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SILICONE IMPLANTS?
There are several reasons why breast augmentation patients choose silicone breasts implants for their breast enhancement surgeries, including:
- Silicone implants are made of a gummy-like substance, which feels more like natural breasts. This is important because many of Dr. Tjelmeland’s Austin patients report they want natural-looking results for their silicone implants breast augmentation.
- Silicone implants are less likely to show visible rippling through the breast skin, another benefit that adds to natural-looking results;
- Silicone implants look fantastic on smaller-framed Austin women with little natural breast tissue, which is great for women who have always felt their breasts were too small and wanted to go bigger to create a more curvaceous silhouette;
- Once placed in your body, silicone implants typically provide very natural-looking results, as they are shaped very similarly to natural breasts; and
- Silicone implants are lightweight, which means there’s less of a chance that they will droop and sag after your Austin breast augmentation surgery.
ARE SILICONE BREAST IMPLANTS SAFE?
You may have heard stories from decades past of silicone breast implants rupturing and causing medical issues. This is not a concern today. Modern silicone breast implants are completely different from the ones that were previously banned, and the implants that Dr. Tjelmeland uses are all FDA approved and safe for an Austin breast augmentation.
ARE THERE ANY REQUIREMENTS FOR SILICONE IMPLANTS?
If you choose to get a breast augmentation with silicone breast implants, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 22 years of age, as required by the FDA for silicone breast implant placement;
- Be aware that silicone implants can sometimes require a slightly larger incision on the breast because the implants are pre-filled;
- Be able to return to see Dr. Tjelmeland for annual follow up appointments to confirm that your silicone implants are intact and settling properly, which may require regular MRIs; and
- Know the cost is slightly greater for silicone implants than for saline implants.
YOUR SILICONE IMPLANTS BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY
When you choose Dr. Tjelmeland for your silicone implants breast augmentation surgery, you’re in good hands. The day of surgery, you will arrive at our state-of-the-art surgical center in Austin. For your comfort, you will be placed under a light general anesthesia for the procedure, and be asleep and unaware of your surgery. Once you are asleep, Dr. Tjelmeland will make your incision (either an inframammary incision or periareolar incision, based on what was decided during your consultation appointment), create a pocket for your silicone implants, carefully place them and suture you up. You will wake up in our comfortable post-op surgery room, where you will be monitored for a few hours as you come out of anesthesia. On the day of your silicone implants breast augmentation, you will need to arrange for transportation home as you will be unable to drive due to the anesthesia and medications that you’ll be given during your surgery.
Most women who receive silicone breast implants are able to return home the day of their surgery. Some women, including those who have a harder time coming out of anesthesia and are extremely nauseated, may require additional monitoring or an overnight stay. If this happens to you, don’t be alarmed. Besides providing you with amazing results, Dr. Tjelmeland’s primary concern is your safety.
RECOVERING FROM YOUR SILICONE IMPLANTS BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY
Most Austin women who have a silicone implants breast augmentation surgery at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center find that the recovery time passes by quickly. For the first 1 to 3 days, you will feel some discomfort. To help ease this pain, Dr. Tjelmeland will prescribe you painkillers, which must be taken as prescribed to stay on top of your pain. This means you’ll need to wake up in the middle of the night, so you don’t miss a dose.
You will be unable to lie on your stomach immediately after your breast augmentation procedure. For resting and sleeping Dr. Tjelmeland recommends that you lie with your upper back elevated with pillows for the first few days following your breast augmentation. Some women prefer to rest and sleep in a recliner, and many patients often rent one to help with their recovery.
You won’t be able to perform any heavy lifting the first few days after your surgery, including lifting small children. If you have little ones at home, you’ll want to make sure to enlist the help of family or friends to look after them so that you can recover as you need to.
After about 5 days post-op, you will be able to return to work or school. You’ll be able to perform light exercise around 10 days after your silicone implants breast augmentation. Strenuous exercise, however, will need to be avoided for about 1 month following your breast augmentation.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you’re interested in learning more about silicone implants and whether they are a good choice for you, you can schedule a consultation with Dr. Tjelmeland at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center, by calling (512) 617-7500.