What Are Silicone Implants?
Silicone implants are the most popular breast implant choice for the Austin women that Dr. Tjelmeland treats at Meridian Plastic Surgery. The breast implants, which are pre-filled with a silicone substance, can be placed either above or below the breast muscle using the following incision types:
- An inframammary incision, in which an incision is made in the breast crease where the breast tissue meets the ribcage; or
- A periareolar incision, in which a breast augmentation incision is made along the edge of the areola.
What Are the Benefits of Silicone Implants?
There are several reasons why breast augmentation patients choose silicone breasts implants for their breast enhancement surgeries, including:
- Silicone implants are made of a gummy-like substance, which feels more like natural breasts;
- Silicone implants are less likely to show visible rippling through the breast skin;
- Silicone implants look fantastic on smaller-framed Austin women with little natural breast tissue;
- Once placed in your body, silicone implants typically provide a very natural-looking result, as they are shaped very similar to natural breasts; and
- Silicone implants are light, which means there is less of a chance of silicone breast implants drooping or sagging after your Austin breast augmentation surgery.
Are There Any Requirements for Silicone Implants?
If you choose to get a breast augmentation with silicone breast implants, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Be aware that silicone implants can sometimes require a slightly larger incision on the breast because the implants are pre-filled;
- Be able to return to see Dr. Tjelmeland for annual follow up appointments to confirm that your silicone implants are intact and settling properly and
- Know the cost is slightly greater for silicone implants than for saline implants.
Your Silicone Implants Breast Augmentation Surgery
When you choose Dr. Tjelmeland for your silicone implants breast augmentation surgery, you’re in good hands. The day of surgery, you will arrive at our state-of-the-art surgical center in Austin. For your comfort, you will be placed under a light general anesthesia for the procedure, and be asleep and unaware of your surgery. Once you are asleep, Dr. Tjelmeland will make your incision (either an inframammary incision or periareolar incision, based on what was decided at your consultation appointment), create a pocket for your silicone implants, carefully place them and suture you up. You will wake up in our comfortable post-op surgery room, where you will be monitored for a few hours as you come out of anesthesia. On the day of your silicone implants breast augmentation, you will need to arrange for transportation home as you will be unable to drive due to the anesthesia and medications given during your surgery.
Recovering from Your Silicone Implants Breast Augmentation Surgery
Most Austin women who have a silicone implants breast augmentation surgery at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center find that the recovery time passes by quickly. For the first 1 to 3 days, you will feel some discomfort. To help ease this pain, Dr. Tjelmeland will prescribe you painkillers, which must be taken as prescribed to stay on top of your pain.
You will be unable to lie on your stomach immediately after you breast augmentation procedure. For resting and sleep, Dr. Tjelmeland recommends that you lie on your back with your upper back elevated with pillows, for the first few days following your breast augmentation.
After about 5 days post-op, you will be able to return to work or school. You’ll be able to perform light exercise around 10 days after your silicone implants breast augmentation. Strenuous exercise, however, will need to be avoided for about 1 month following your breast augmentation.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you’re interested in learning more about silicone implants and whether or not they are the right option for you, the best thing you can do is schedule a consultation with Dr. Tjelmeland at Meridian Plastic Surgery, by calling (512) 617-7500.