A tummy tuck, medically known as abdominoplasty, can give you a slimmer, more attractive abdominal contour with a single surgery. It offers Austin residents fantastic results even if their abdomens haven’t responded well to diet or exercise, despite their best efforts.
Through a tummy tuck surgery, Austin patients can:
- Eliminate loose, unwanted skin, which is often the result of significant weight change or due to pregnancy.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles, which often become separated during pregnancy called diastasis recti.
- Reshape your silhouette so that you can show off your figure more comfortably and confidently.
Depending on your goals and needs, Dr. Tjelmeland of Meridian Plastic Surgery Center will employ one of several types of abdominoplasty procedures, including mini-abdominoplasty, extended mini-abdominoplasty, standard abdominoplasty, and extended abdominoplasty. Each procedure targets changes in the abdominal area in different ways, with the aim of giving you a flatter, tighter abdomen.
HOW A TUMMY TUCK WORKS
You’ll begin your experience with an initial consultation at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center. This appointment gives you the opportunity to meet our staff, ask questions about the procedure, and learn more about what to expect as an Austin tummy tuck patient. Dr. Tjelmeland will conduct a thorough examination of your abdomen and ensure that you are a good candidate for surgery, make his recommendations, and then you are free to schedule your procedure.
AM I A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A TUMMY TUCK?
Your health and safety are Dr. Tjelmeland’s number one priority. Therefore, to be considered a tummy tuck candidate at Meridian Plastic Surgery Center you must:
- Have an abdominal issue that you want to correct through surgery, such as loose or sagging abdominal skin, excess skin and/or separated abdominal muscles.
- Be in good overall health.
- Be a non-smoker, as smoking can complicate both the tummy tuck surgery and your recovery process.
- Listen to Dr. Tjelmeland explain the surgery as well as his expected results, and communicate back to him that you have realistic expectations for your procedure.
- Be in good psychological health.
YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THE DAY OF SURGERY
Your tummy tuck will be performed on an outpatient basis in our accredited and licensed surgical center. Most Austin patients will be able to go home immediately afterwards, though some may require extra monitoring for their safety and comfort. During your procedure:
- You will receive a light general anesthesia so that you are completely unaware of any discomfort.
- Dr. Tjelmeland employs Harmonic® scalpel technology. This proven and effective tool uses high-frequency ultrasonic energy to elevate skin. Unlike traditional electrocautery, it operates at a low temperature. This reduces postoperative pain and swelling.
- Dr. Tjelmeland will make a low horizontal incision down by the pubic area. Placing the incision here helps to hide the resulting scar below the top of your underwear or a bikini bottom.
- Depending on the type of abdominoplasty, Dr. Tjelmeland may make a second incision around the navel. You and he will have discussed this approach in advance.
- Dr. Tjelmeland tightens loose abdominal muscles with sutures, reconstructs the navel, and removes excess skin and fat.
The surgery may take anywhere from 3-4 hours depending on your needs. Meridian Plastic Surgery Center prioritizes the well-being of all of our Austin patients and ensures high-quality, aesthetically pleasing outcomes.
TUMMY TUCK AFTER C-SECTION
A tummy tuck is a completely safe procedure to have after having had a C-section or a hysterectomy. If you had a C-section during childbirth, Dr. Tjelmeland often uses the existing scar for your tummy tuck incision site. Dr. Tjelmeland may also recommend C-section scar revision, as his artistic skills can improve the appearance of the original scar.
Tissue can build up along the C-Section scar adding to the loose, unwanted skin in the abdominal area. As Dr. Tjelmeland sutures your incision, he will also excise a portion of the old scar tissue. This gives your belly a smoother, more attractive appearance.
RECOVERY AFTER A TUMMY TUCK
Dr. Tjelmeland will provide you with medication to manage discomfort immediately following tummy tuck surgery. He will also use a support garment to reduce swelling in your abdomen and to help you heal properly.
Because the procedure focuses on sculpting a flatter midsection, and because you use your abdominal area frequently in daily life, a tummy tuck does require a more prolonged recuperation than some other cosmetic procedures. Expect to be away from work for about two weeks (longer if your work is physically demanding). You will likely need 4-6 weeks before resuming exercise. Your tummy tuck scar should fade over the next 12 months.
You will not be able to perform any heavy lifting, twisting or turning after your tummy tuck surgery, including lifting or carrying small children. If you are a mother to little ones, Dr. Tjelmeland recommends you enlist the support of friends and family members to provide additional childcare as you are recuperating from your surgery.
COMBINING A TUMMY TUCK WITH OTHER PROCEDURES
Sometimes Austin patients, especially mothers who are done bearing children, desire a full restoration of their bodies. For this reason, a tummy tuck is commonly paired with a breast augmentation and/or breast lift in a combined procedure widely known as a mommy makeover. Combining these surgeries is very popular, and depending on your unique circumstances – which Dr. Tjelmeland will pre-determine before recommending a mommy makeover, it is safe for you to be under anesthesia long enough to have both of these procedures performed in one surgical setting. Many women appreciate that they can go to sleep and not only wake up with the body they’ve wanted but reduce their down time by having a tummy tuck and breast procedure performed simultaneously.
PREGNANCY AFTER A TUMMY TUCK
Having a subsequent pregnancy after a tummy tuck surgery is perfectly safe. Many Austin women who have undergone tummy tucks have continued to have healthy, full-term babies. But, you have to keep in mind that pregnancy includes weight gain, especially in your abdomen. A subsequent pregnancy may negate the beautiful results of your tummy tuck, or even require you to need a second procedure to restore the look they previously obtained. For this reason, Dr. Tjelmeland counsels all his potential Austin tummy tuck patients on the cosmetic, not medical, risks of pregnancy after a tummy tuck, and encourages them to wait until after all pregnancies to have their tummy tuck performed.
Achieve a dramatic change in your body’s appearance. Contact Meridian Plastic Surgery Center in Austin for an initial consultation about a tummy tuck. Call (512) 617-7500 or fill out our online form.